Monday, February 6, 2012

20-minute Monday - Besan omelet

My workday routine for the last year has included a stop at the gym after work for some intensive cardio.  By the time it's over, and I'm showered and on the bus heading home, I'm starving.

So that bus ride home tends to involve some pretty intense fantasizing about what to have for supper...as well as about how ambrosial that first sip of cool, dry white wine is going to taste, which is another story, though a short one.

This is one of those fantasy meals.  Start with frying a few red onions in a little canola oil.  Add some mixed mushrooms (you see here oysters, shimeji, and king oyster mushrooms) and chopped garlic, season with salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice, and cook over high heat until the mushrooms have browned to perfection:

Perfection
Meanwhile, mix up 1/4 cup chickpea flour, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 tsp black salt, a dash of turmeric and a dash of ground cumin, and make a chickpea omelet.  Steam some vegetables.  Find some mystery tomato-type sauce made with Indian spices in the freezer and thaw a little of it out.  Grate some frozen cashew cheese.  Chop up a bit of cilantro for garnish.


Sigh.  It was so good.  So maybe it took a little longer than 20 minutes to put it all together, but not a whole lot more.  A lovely weeknight supper.

16 comments:

  1. Okay, I should try this omelet. Can I tell you that I have ZERO luck with any of the tofomelets out there, including the Vegan Brunch one? I blame my complete refusal to measure anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then, this is the recipe for you. Make it thick, make it thin, spice it up with chilies, tomatoes, spices, whatever you like, it is *always* good!

      Delete
  2. This looks fabulous! I don't know how you whipped it together so quickly... and frozen cashew cheese? I never thought about doing that! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, there is a lot of fantasy planning done ahead of time...and cashew cheese, to my delight, freezes very well...

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a great weeknight dinner. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually starving after the gym and would settle for a energy bar or something on the bus. But what an amazing looking dish for such a quick cook time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you about fantasizing about food on the way home, and eating after a good bout of exercise is always so satisfying. I love the look of your omelette, packed with good stuff! I've tried making chickpea flour omelettes on a couple occasions and they always stick to the pan. :( I'll have to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, mine never stick, but I always use a non-stick pan. This time I sprayed it with canola oil, but I've done it all different ways and not had a problem.

      Delete
  6. So you can make an omelet with just Chickpea Flour and water? If so, this is major news to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Do you not know that chickpea flour is a superfood?

      Delete
  7. I am really dying to work with the chickpea flour that's been in the pantry for so long. I want to make some socca but this may oust it for top spot! Love your assortment of mushrooms too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maud, see above. This is essentially socca, also known as chilla, besan omelet, whatever. Add your favorite flavorings and go to town.

      Delete
  8. I'd love to be a resident in your fantasy kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the besan omelette following your measurements this morning and it came out! I used a non-stick with a light coating of oil. I've tried vegan omelettes following other recipes and they never worked very well...Thanks for your genius recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad it worked, and that you liked it. I see I gave the recipe but no cooking instructions for the omelet itself. Your method is exactly the one I use too.

      Delete
  10. I have to try this out. Because you won't believe it....there is some mystery tomato-type sauce made with Indian spices in the freezer. Its a mystery because I did not make it.
    I have some dried oyster mushrooms and thought of making a Vegan Mushroom omlette but did a google to see if someone has tried this before.
    I was planning to mix in the stir fried mushrooms into the besan batter. Let me see what I do at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete