Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pineapple sweet & sour + helpful reflections on moderation


Pineapple sweet and sour, courtesy Bryanna Clark Grogan's Authentic Vegan Cuisine (I added no sugar, but tipped a little of the pineapple juice into the broth and it was most definitely sweet enough for me), plus some reheated multi-rice-and-grain mix from the fridge.  15 minutes, 1.5 glasses of wine (the .5 was with supper).  I had to work late and was starving by the time I got home.  This was perfect.

Okay, I can't resist, even though I always regret giving advice...but this is more advice to my future self than anything.  Here's what I did right yesterday, in the spirit of maintaining a healthy moderation where food is concerned:

  • I was hungry so I cooked fast. Seven o'clock at night after a hard workout is not the time for experimenting.  This was a quick, easy meal I've made many times before, that's healthy, and that I really enjoy: I should keep a list of these so I don't spend too much time thinking about what to have or flipping through cookbooks, sipping cool white wine all the while and becoming more and more ravenous and uninhibited.
  • I used some cooked grains from the refrigerator that I keep on hand for lunch salads and to heat up in the microwave for meals like this--but nothing too appetizing.  Cooked jasmine rice and pasta are not items that will keep long in my fridge.
  • I got straight up from the table and went to the computer to download, review, and edit my photos of this meal--before I did the dishes or put any leftovers away.  This is a surprising benefit of food blogging.  By the time I'd done that, and left a few comments on other blogs, my stomach had had time to tell my brain that it was full and I stood a better chance of calmly putting the kitchen in order without losing control and gorging on everything in sight.  
Anybody want to share their own tips and tricks?

And, finally, the last entry in my mystery pictures series for Vegan MoFo 2011, was indeed, as all you vegans guessed:


And tonight...I have the day off work, so I will be experimenting and taking one giant step out of my comfort zone with...my fingers tremble slightly as I even type it...faux fish!

    3 comments:

    1. Dinner looks awesome. Are those soy curls in there? I truly admire your restraint with the wine :).

      ReplyDelete
    2. The sweet and sour looks scrumptious, as usual. Good tips...in the last few years, moderation has become harder and harder for me...I used to know how to be, but I've forgotten...maybe it's a hormonal thing.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Nice looking dinner! I really need to get on board with having quick meals to cook after a workout...if I have dinner planned but think it will take too long I end up grabbing something less healthy.

      ReplyDelete