Saturday, November 19, 2011

30-minute Thursday: Orzo with sauerkraut and spiced seitan; vegetable slaw


...but on Friday, because my schedule was moved around this week.  The title says it all.  The orzo was inspired by this post over on i eat food, though I didn't have Renae's recipe before me when I was cooking, and ended up doing something quite different with the seitan, which is more of my disaster seitan, spiced up considerably with onions, garlic, cayenne, dill, nutmeg, pepper, tomato juice, and soy sauce.  The orzo was boiled in water flavoured with All-season blend (see sidebar for recipe), then drained and mixed with the sauerkraut.

The salad was simply raw beet, zucchini, daikon radish, and carrot grated and mixed with a little chopped parsley and minced red radish on top, served with an absolutely delicious dressing of Vegenaise mixed with lime juice, lime zest, and tarragon.  M-m-m!  A dressing with three ingredients that takes less than a minute to stir together and is really one of the best there is.

Here it is again, all messed up:

4 comments:

  1. This is so creative! I don't know how you think up these combinations that I never would have dreamed of, but end up sounding (and looking) totally delicious and compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten orzo, which possibly means I've lived in a cave my entire life. Simple salads are the best salads, and vegenaise is so tasty even just by itself. The drummer in my band (total omnivore) likes to make sweet potato fries and a creamy dip when we have gatherings, and he recently veganized the dip for me using vegenaise, and then admitted to liking it way better than mayo-based version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm...sauerkraut & pasta, my two favourite comfort foods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was scrolling through blogs in my feed reader, I first read the title of this post and thought, "Orzo, sauerkraut, and spiced seitan?! This post is getting starred for sure!". Then I scrolled and saw it was a Zoa post, and thought, "Of course it is!". Then I scrolled and saw my name in conjunction with the inspiration and laughed. Then I scrolled and saw the pictures and thought, "That Zoa makes the most colorful and amazing-looking plates of food." Seriously, that couldn't look more different (and much better!) than the post you said inspired it. Your food is always so beautiful. That salad looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete