Sunday, October 23, 2011

MoFo Mystery Picture the Twenty-third + all kinds of awesomeness

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

You use it every day--who knew?

In more current news, here is tonight's supper:


Whoa, this was good.  It's a combination of some balls inspired by Jennifer McCann's The Magical Loaf, except that I have an irrational prejudice against loaves, and so made balls, with several of my own additions, the Tahini creme with peas and morels from The Artful Vegan (made with beech mushrooms instead of morels; check out the recipe on Google Books), a baked sweet potato, and the Brussels sprouts roasted with plums, maple glaze, and pine nuts from the Zesty Cook.  Yeah, he totally sold me with his enthusiasm! Except that, having suffered from pine mouth all last week and figuring it was a symptom of some terminal disease until I discovered what it really was, I subbed the pine nuts in this recipe for cashews.  It will take some courage for me ever to eat pine nuts again...

So...want to know the recipe for these delicious balls?  Here it is:

Zoa's Magical Balls
makes 24 balls

1/4 cup peanuts
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 large carrot, grated
1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 cup cooked split peas (I used mung beans)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbsp chana flour (besan)
1 tsp spice mix I made up from some Gordon Ramsay (I think) recipe on the Food Network and never written down; just use your favorite; curry powder or sambhar will be fine
1 tsp All-Season Blend (see sidebar for recipe)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dry TVP
Grind the peanuts to a coarse meal in the food processor.  

Saute the vegetables in the oil until soft, then add to the food processor and grind coarsely.

Tip the contents of the food processor into a medium bowl and add the remaining ingredients; mix well.  Form into walnut-sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.  Brush with canola or peanut oil.

Bake at 375F for about 40 minutes, shaking or turning them once or twice so that they are evenly browned.

Enjoy!

And yesterday's mystery picture?  I'm totally disgusted that Cara got it right away.  Stacy was right on in her estimate of my present wariness of starchy foods, but I do eat them, carefully measured; woman cannot live on green veggies alone, I'm finding, without encountering all kinds of problems with gastric distress (more on which in a later post).






10 comments:

  1. The brussel's sprout and sweet potato look so good together...I'm definitely making that combo soon. And, your recipes, magical, of genius or otherwise are always appreciated. These are on my list to make in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dinner looks delish. The mystery food looks like something from the back of my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mofo theme has been so fun, although I never know what anything is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another vote for black pepper.
    Hmmmm....pine nut mouth? Sounds horrible!!!
    This may sound really weird, but I look forward to your post on gastric distress!! I have been on a ridiculously high fiber diet for the past 6 months or so and, well, sometimes you can really tell. I will say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mystery pictures!!! I am scrolling back through just to look at them!! You must have some amazing zoom camera!!! AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm thinking pepper too...though I am confused by the crusty part that looks almost like a dried sugary substance...this is a fantastic theme...amazing how different things can look from a new and/or zoomed perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments and kind words, everyone! The meatballs were a lot of fun, and tweaking a basic loaf recipe is a nice way to start. I found that in order to stick them together I not only didn't need to add any liquid, but had to add the TVP, which wasn't called for in the original recipe at all--the addition turned out excellent, though.

    Pepper, bah, you guys are just getting too good! It is pepper, but yes, j&s, the reason I love these pictures too is for how odd everything looks so close up, even when you *can* tell what it is. I'm waiting to find something really gross like insect parts, but so far everything I've photographed has been very clean (thank goodness)!

    Stacy, word on the fiber. Indelicate to speak of, uncomfortable to endure, but probably fairly common among super-healthy-eating vegans, I'd guess. But I have had some ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ;)
    All my ancestors were Italian, I know pasta when I see it! (and it was the first time I was right...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just make sure that you only eat true European pine nuts (not the cheaper Korean variety); you can only get pinemouth from Korean pine. :) Pine nuts are so delicious, I wouldn't want anyone to miss out!

    ReplyDelete