Sunday, September 18, 2011

Corn with cauliflower

This post is sort of all over the place, because every aspect of this meal was equally delicious.   What you're seeing here is the corn with cauliflower (phulaar makai nu shaak) from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, along with the curried black chickpeas (kala channa masala) from Monisha Bharadwaj`s India`s Vegetarian Cooking, the zucchini-lemon couscous from Donna Klein`s The Vegan Mediterranean Kitchen, some diced tomatoes (from My Mom and Dad`s Garden), along with the Bulgarian-style tofu yogurt (vegan recipe of genius courtesy of Bryanna Clark Grogan, see sidebar for recipe).  So the whole meal is a sort of Indian-Italian-NewAge-Vegan fusion type of thing.  But oh, did it work!

I can`t blog everything, but with a nod to the kala channa:

I crave this at times like Rapunzel craved campion...
...and the zucchini-lemon couscous:



...I`ll concentrate on the cauliflower and corn.  It is corn season here in Alberta, Canada, where I live, and we are getting all kinds of wonderful fresh corn in our markets.  I picked up some peaches-and-cream corn the other day, cooked up a few cobs, ate most of them right out of the pot they were so sweet and wonderfully delicious, but managed to save some kernels for this dish. 

You will, I believe, have to acquire the cookbook for the exact recipe, but here`s the process:

Start with heating a little canola or peanut oil in a skillet.  When hot, add a little cumin:


Give it a quick stir, then add cauliflower:


Stir-fry this for a bit, then add onion:


...turmeric, corn...


...a paste of ginger and hot green chili, and finally, cilantro:


This can be served hot, at room temperature, or cold.  I served it hot, right out of the pan.  Madhur Jaffrey calls this dish superb, which, in fact, it is.  Lord, I love cauliflower more and more each day!

4 comments:

  1. What a meal! Looks delicious, and pretty too. The corn and cauliflower combo sounds unique, I'll have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A little cumin"?! Those look like massive pods! Never heard of black Chickpeas either. Very exotic. Love how you treat yourself so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been neglecting World Vegetarian - time to haul it out and look for treasures like this that I have overlooked. This sounds great; I love cauliflower too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to look this up in World Vegetarian. I love cauliflower, too, and I'm sure Madhur Jaffrey's version is amazing.

    ReplyDelete