Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Baked falafel

Cadry, who left a comment on my last post that her favorite recipe from Appetite for Reduction was the baked falafel, had me at "falafel."  I had to try it, and here it is.  And I admit, while it isn't exactly (or at all) deep fried, it is quite delicious, wonderfully spicy and with a nice soft texture that I think, as Isa suggests in the recipe, will only improve after spending the night in the refrigerator and being served for lunch tomorrow at room temperature.

It's served here with a chopped salad and some Aztec mix from Bulk Barn (a mixture of red and brown rice, chana dal, amaranth, and probably a few other things), as well as a tahini-lemon sauce because--even though the recipe doesn't say so--you can't have falafel without tahini-lemon sauce.

This recipe is insanely easy to make.  You start with canned chickpeas, and process them with onions, garlic and parsley or cilantro (cilantro, yes!) and the secret genius ingredient, hot sauce (I used sriracha).  Then add various spices (this, by the way, is a half recipe that will net two servings of 4.5 falafels each):


Mix it all together, and form into patties--I copied Cadry's idea and put them on parchment paper:


And bake 'em:


They look a little dry, but actually they're not.  They were, in fact, quite delicious, and so quick that I can see myself making them very often in the future.

The tahini sauce?  Well, here's a recipe, which I feel a little silly for giving as it's so simple and can be found anywhere, but it's worth being reproduced everywhere:

Tahini-lemon sauce
makes about 1/3 cup

2 1/2 tbsp tahini
juice of 1/2 lemon plus more to taste
1 small clove garlic, put through a press
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup warm water

Put everything into a small bowl, and whisk until it becomes white and creamy.  Add more water, lemon juice, and/or salt until you've achieved the texture you want.  This sauce is great as a salad dressing, a dip for raw vegetables or drizzled over cooked vegetables, beans, grains, or heck, just spooned up out of the little bowl.  Simple and utterly delicious, it's the Mediterranean sauce.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice surprise to see myself mentioned! I'm so glad you liked the falafel too. I actually just had leftover falafel for lunch today. Of all of the recipes in AFR, it's the one I keep making again and again. It's hard to imagine that there was a time many years ago when I'd make falafel from a box. Now it feels silly since it's so easy to make from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give up. I'm going to get the cookbook. And a new jar of tahini.

    BTW, this is from last Jan., but someone just posted it on my facebook page, and I wanted to make sure you've seen it, since it's about your blog. http://www.veganmischief.com/vegan-soft-egg-yolks-from-airy-way/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Stacy!

    Cadry, I love tips and suggestions. The falafel really was supereasy to make and if you were going to serve them with, say, a cabbage salad, or anything else shredded, you could double your food processor use, too (somehow I'm always reluctant to get it out just for one thing).

    Andrea, thanks for the link; I hadn't seen it, but that egg gets by far the most hits on my whole site--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the recipe in AFR but haven't tried it yet. It looks delicious though! :-)

    ReplyDelete