Friday, November 26, 2010

Israeli couscous

This post will be short 'n' sweet.  I came home from work weak with hunger and unable to wait for anything more complicated.  But believe it or not, Israeli couscous is something I've never tried.  However, yes, I'll be adding it to the extensive collection of jars of dried goods overflowing the tops of my cupboards from now on.

Here it is, pre-roasting in canola oil with a little chopped garlic.  Smell: out of this world.

It's just like regular couscous to cook with.  Once you've roasted it a bit, add water and flavourings, cover, turn the heat down, and let it barely cook for about 5 minutes.  My flavourings were loosely based on a dish from Veganomicon, so cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, mint, and lime juice and zest.  But it could be anything that takes your fancy, or nothing.  The whole supper:


Some tiny sweet potatoes, steamed with seitan meatballs from the freezer, a minimalist salsa of avocado, canned tomatoes, chili-garlic paste, and green onions.  Not super-impressive, but it did hit the spot.  It's been way too long since I had avocado...

2 comments:

  1. I've never had Isreali couscous...it always looks too big to me, but you've turned my perceptions. This looks great, and very cool that you roasted it as part of the cooking process...I've never done that either!

    I'm impressed! And will have to try some Isreali couscous soon!

    Have a good weekend Zoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili-Garlic Paste on Avocado sounds great!

    ReplyDelete