Monday, September 20, 2010

Potato and zucchini omelet with scorched tomato sauce


Today's supper is more or less courtesy of Anna Thomas, from her Vegetarian Epicure: Book Two, and it does, in accordance with the current necessities of my life, incorporate the entire holy trinity of tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumber.  And it's delicious and contains a genius technique, to boot.

Genius technique of Anna Thomas: scorched tomatoes.  You know how recipes often call for tomatoes, peeled.  Until today, the only easy way I knew of to peel tomatoes was to freeze them, then thaw them out a little in warm water and slip their skins off.  That's a good way, but this is actually better because (1) the scorching gives the tomatoes an extra flavour boost; and (2) quite a bit of water comes out of them while they're being scorched; this can be poured off and you're that much further ahead in your sauce-making.  You don't, of course, require cherry tomatoes for this recipe, but that's what I have, and they really are so darn cute.  Put them in a pan and place the pan under the broiler, shifting them around once or twice until they're partly charred. 

Take them out of the oven, pour off any water that has accumulated in the pan, cool the tomatoes somewhat so you don't burn yourself, then slip the skins off.  Yes, they slip right off!


Now to make the sauce, I heated a little Earth Balance with some dried basil, thyme, turmeric, and pepper, and, when bubbling, added the tomatoes.  These cherries just cooked down to a nice paste all by themselves in a short time, but if you were using larger ones, you might need to chop them up and/or use a blender.  My sauce was very sweet from the tomatoes alone--next time I think I'd add something that would complement this, such as, perhaps, brandy.

For the omelet, parboil potatoes for about 5 minutes in salted boiling water; after about 2 minutes, add diced zucchini.  When the potatoes are still not-quite-tender, drain them and set them aside, while you fry onions and a few mushrooms in olive oil. 


Add the potato-zucchini mixture, a little dried dill, some red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste, and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender and a little brown:


For the omelet, I used my favorite recipe from Vegan Brunch, but this time (gasp!) changed it a little, in that instead of the nutritional yeast I used Joanne Stepaniak's All-season blend (see my sidebar for the recipe), and added quite a bit of water so the omelet was very thin.  I really liked it this way.  I also sprinkled on some black salt when it was nearly done.  Goodness me, by this time I was dancing around the (rather messy, by now) kitchen in my eagerness to eat.


But first, I made a little cucumber salad, just cucumber julienned with the coolest new tool that I will feature in a future post, mixed with just a bit of rice vinegar, roasted sesame oil, and salt and pepper.  This is a very nice mix, and took mere seconds to put together.


Sigh...it was everything I had hoped for.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I see one of your killer omelets I basically forget that I don't like them, and believe with all my heart that I do, and that I must have one right away. I've got to try again; all-season blend and extra water here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Andrea--with black salt, what is there even to differentiate vegan omelets from egg ones? No excuses!

    Shenandoah, thanks, but I assure you it was very eatable!

    ReplyDelete