Wednesday, August 18, 2010

More dumplings of genius

Was yesterday's dumpling miracle a fluke?  Or perhaps it would only work with cornmeal?  I had to know.  So I revived the leftovers of yesterday's stew with red and green sweet peppers, corn, cannellini beans, and long beans cut up small, and tried basically the same recipe with all white flour. 

You'll get better taste with whole wheat flour, but I was curious to know if the urad flour would change the colour of the dumplings at all (it didn't).  This is so my new absolute favorite dumpling recipe (both cornmeal and wheat flour versions)!  Probably in India they're all over this, but I've never seen this technique anywhere, and it should be everywhere.  The problem with regular vegan dumplings, the kind that are basically flour, baking powder, salt, oil, and liquid, is that they get a little bit mushy around the edges as they cook.  They still taste great, but the mushiness is a fact.

But add a little urad flour to the mix, and they stay completely solid.  The taste of the urad flour, very evident in the raw batter, disappears entirely during cooking, to the point where I think you would want to add some extra seasoning, at least to the white flour version.

Actually, I did add some seasoning, a little black salt, which gave the dumplings a very very slightly "eggy" flavour that I liked a lot but that is completely optional for the success of this recipe.  Here it is:

Zoa's urad flour dumplings
Serves 2

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour (white or whole wheat)
2 tbsp urad flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (use 1/4 tsp if you're also using black salt)
1/4 tsp kala namak (black salt; optional)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
3/4 tbsp Earth Balance, softened, or canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients together, then stir in the non-dairy milk and Earth Balance or oil, and mix just until blended.  Drop by teaspoonfuls into simmering stew or soup:


Cover and cook for 15 minutes:


Look how firm and lovely they are:

...and they are so good!

5 comments:

  1. Why didn't you write this post BEFORE I went to the Indian grocery. Now I have to go back to get urad flour! I must have those dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUH???? Hello! Which dumpling recipe am I supposed to make? This is extremely confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, you really must have these dumplings. Seriously.

    Shenandoah, don't be confused. If you're making a Mexican-type dish, have the cornmeal ones; if a French dish, the wheat flour ones. Or do whatever the heck you want. Both recipes were great, in my opinion, with the minor caveat that the all-white-flour ones lacked a bit of flavour--easily remedied by using whole wheat flour or adding a few herbs/spices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those dumplings look delicious...I haven't made dumplings in years because I live with a picky eater who won't eat them...I think I need to make some just for myself! I've never used urad flour...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to do the cornmeal ones but am going to have to fall back on Stacy's Johnny Cakes for this weekend. I work with tons of people from India, but don't feel comfortable asking any of them for two tablespoons of flour. I'll hopefully get to the international grocery next week.

    ReplyDelete