Monday, August 16, 2010

Japanese Hot Pots #2

Hot pots are fun, easy, and tidy to cook!  Here's another one. 

This time I started with a piece of kombu at the bottom of the pot, about 1 inch square.  I liked the depth this gave to the finished dish.

Top with chopped cabbage, and build the hot pot over the cabbage.  Here you see long beans, carrots, turnip, king oyster mushrooms, shimeji mushrooms, and fresh tofu.

Pour on a light broth, and cook covered for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables in the pot are nearly ender. 

Add quick-cooking additions (bok choy and enoks), and cook for another two minutes or so:



Tasty!  I ended up adding soy sauce, sriracha sauce, and sesame oil as condiments, and this worked out well (by which I mean that the broth stayed light in colour in the pot and I got exactly the amount of condimentarity I wanted in my individual serving).



It was served over something called Jade Blend from Bulk Barn, which is composed of: bamboo rice, wheat berries, basmati rice, green lentils, split baby garbanzo beans, and daikon radish seeds, and it was actually delicious on its own, but that's not the reason I bought it.  The reason I bought it was that it was so dang gorgeous:

5 comments:

  1. Yes! This looks amazing! I am going to make these when it gets cold out. And Bulk Barn rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over that jade blend. It's beautiful, and so is your hot pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to Zoa to find something Canadian that we Americans don't have (besides the universal health care, no budget deficit, etc etc yes, Stacy, I know!). Most of us are pretty bulky already, so we should have a barn too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to have to try this... it sounds like it comes together quickly and with delicious results. The jade is beautiful.

    I'm with SV on the health care...if only the US could follow the Canadian lead once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy, Bulk Barn is pretty new in my town, and it's exciting for me to go there. Sometime I'll tell the story of the Mall World where it is located. I would never get there on my own as I don't believe the Mall World has any bus service (if you don't have a car, they don't want you), but my mom takes me sometimes because she likes shopping there too, seniors get a discount on Wednesdays, and she's a saint.

    Tami, thanks, I have finally given the thought to a setup where I can take super-macro photos inside. Exciting? You bet! Watch for more closer than closeups of your favorite foods. But the rice in that blend really did look like jewels, I thought, and I've never seen "bamboo rice" on sale anywhere.

    Shenandoah, is Bulk Barn Canadian? Well, so many good things are, as you point out ;-) We do have to pay for our health care, but, again as you say, universally, and it's a good deal, as anyone with a sick pet will learn very quickly.

    Rose, do try it. My mind is brimming with variations, and surely with all your wonderful garden produce you can come up with something absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete