Sunday, July 4, 2010

Western donburi

Now this is what I should have made instead of those green eggs and ham from my last post. This is fantastic.

Some of you may remember that for Veganmofo last year I was trying to teach myself to cook Japanese, and one of the dishes I made was tofu donburi, which is basically an omelet poached in broth rather than fried. That was nice, and this is a Western-style variation. With a tomato-y broth or sauce it would have been a lot like Eggs in Purgatory, which I have been meaning to veganize for some time.

How it began, like so many of the experiments here at The Airy Way, was with a survey of the contents of my rather overstuffed refrigerator.

What I needed to use up:

1. Some Vegan Brunch omelet mix;
2. Some of the cooking broth from Joanne Stepaniak's Betta feta;
3. A little fresh tofu;
4. Half an onion;
5. Half a red pepper;
6. An avocado;
7. Some whole wheat bread dough.

On the whole you could make it with some omelet mix and anything else you happened to have around. The cooking broth was a nice touch, but you could use some of her All-season blend in water (basically what this broth is), or other vegetable broth of any kind.

Start by frying the onion, red pepper, and a few quartered mushrooms in a mixture of olive oil and Earth Balance:

When they're tender, add about a cup of broth and some cubed tofu:

Bring to a boil, then pour in the omelet mix all at once; I added green onions and red pepper flakes at this point as well. Bring this mixture just to a boil, then cover, turn the heat way down to medium low, and let it poach for about half an hour, depending on how much you're making and how deep your skillet is; check it after 15 minutes and judge for yourself:

It's soft, but the omelet parts are cooked through. Turn the heat off and keep covered for another 10 minutes if you can possibly stand it to allow the omelet to firm up a little:

And serve! I had this with a sprinkling of shishimi togarashi in memory of Veganmofo 2009, and fried bread. Actually, the dish is soft and oily enough that it would have been even better with dry toast fingers.

Now that I know how awesome this is, I'm going to work on making the egg part taste more "eggy". The texture of the finished dish is soft and tender-creamy, like a coddled egg, and the tofu, though not pre-cooked, firmed up in the mix into cubes of wonderful deliciousness!

Happy 4th of July, American friends!

9 comments:

  1. I can totally get down with this! This is my type of breakfast right here! Or lunch...or dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pics! Way to treat yourself well;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I just ate dinner but would definitely eat this too, given the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all your wonderful Japanese cooking from VMF 09. This sounds so good. I just made the tofu omelette from Vegan Brunch for the first time this morning and was surprised at how well it worked.

    I love the idea of cooking the tofu and veggies right into the omelette...and in a broth as well...very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, this looks yummy and your pics look like works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments! I got thinking later in the day that this might work quite well in the slow cooker. My sister made a similar kind of egg dish (non-vegan) in her slow cooker last Christmas. It looked great to me and everyone who tried it just loved it. In the slow cooker there would be no chance of it burning, which I was a bit worried about on the stovetop. Anyway, just a thought in case any reader is adventurous enough to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zoa, do you make your tofu? I have been following your adventures in homemade soy milk and am considering buying the machine, but it made me curious about making my own tofu, too. You seem like the handy & industrious type who'd go that route!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, I've made tofu...once (wasn't blogging then though). It wasn't a bad experience, and I'd do it again if I had a lot of nigari handy, but tofu is one thing I like just as well--okay, so far, better--from the store. Where you need to go is over to Renae at i eat food. Here's a link: http://ieatfood.net/2009/05/09/how-to-make-a-heavy-duty-steel-tofu-press/

    Renae is hard core, and if you click around *her* links she'll direct you to some other handy sites.

    Good luck with your experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I like the taste from the store just fine--just not the plastic it brings with it.

    ReplyDelete