Monday, June 14, 2010

Spicy black bean and salsa pizza

This was interesting, one of those "almost too strange to try" recipes that suddenly I had all the ingredients for so it seemed like kismet that I finally had to try it.

The basic recipe is from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet.

What I had on hand: pizza dough, brown beans, chipotle peppers in sauce, salsa, cilantro. Extra stuff I needed to do...um, let's see, oh, nothing. So how could I resist? Assuming you have pizza dough (or dare I suggest, even just a pita or a naan or one of those Boboli-things), this recipe is so simple. Take salsa and a chipotle pepper and grind them up together in a blender. Add cilantro, black (or in this case, brown) beans, salt and pepper, and mix it up. This is your topping, and it is wonderful just as is (I did add some red pepper flakes):

Roll out your pizza dough to a 1/4 inch thickness, brush with olive oil, and bake for 5-10 minutes at 450F until firm. Spoon on the topping and put it all back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so until the topping is hot and the pizza is cooked through and browning at the edges. I added sweet red pepper for colour, and also topped the cooked pizza with avocado slices, because I had some, because it looks pretty, and because everything just tastes better with avocado slices:

A surprisingly superb Monday meal that took literally 10 minutes to put together. Happy day!

6 comments:

  1. awesome idea! I will definitely try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great dish with the perfect avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks enticing. I feel like I can almost taste the spicey peppers and the yummy beans by just looking at that closeup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I love meals that come together like this--just from rummaging around, then voila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! To me, pizza has entered that "same old stuff" category, but you have seriously pushed me to wanna get in the kitchen and make this! nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking pizza, I love meals that just come together like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete