Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Seitan "meatballs" with coconut curry

Mon dieu, I saw this over at Végécarib and knew I had to make it for myself! So delish! La fourmi has her favourite okara seitan ball recipe and I have mine. She writes beautiful French and I can barely read it…but here's my take on what she did, and it was lovely. Please bear in mind that this is not a direct translation. For one thing, I didn't have all the ingredients her recipe calls for (raisins, for instance, which would probably have been wonderful) on hand, so I substituted.

Seitan "meatballs" with coconut curry
adapted from Boulettes de seitan au curry
serves 2

3 cups seitan meatballs (or other protein of choice; shown are frozen "chicken"-style okara seitan balls-see sidebar for recipe)
3 tbsp canola or peanut oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tsp graines à roussir*
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water

*graines à roussir are a mixture of whole cumin, fenugreek, and mustard seeds. I am familiar with it as the Indian panch phoron; if you don't have any of this or the ingredients to make it, you can just leave it out.

Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick skillet and fry the meatballs until golden. Set aside.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil and, when hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. When the onion is just beginning to turn translucent, add the coriander and cumin and cook for 3 minutes more.

Now add the coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavours blend. Add the cornstarch-water slurry and the seitan balls, and stir to heat and thicken the sauce. Serve over rice.

This rice was part of the Caribbean yellow rice and pigeon peas recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home. Obviously, I didn't add the pigeon peas, but really all this is is a simple pilaf with tumeric added to the onions while they are frying to give everything a bright yellow colour.

I was lucky enough to find fresh beets with their greens in the supermarket today, so that completed this meal—beets boiled separately, and greens and stems steamed and dressed with rice vinegar and salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. Very colorful, and I'm sure, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho thank-you for the link !
    I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Rose! It really was delicious.

    And, Fourmi, I did enjoy it very much! I tried and tried to find an English recipe that looked as good as yours so I wouldn't have to translate, but didn't succeed. This one was the best ;-)

    ReplyDelete