Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Arugula and barley tabbouleh

I've been on a greens kick lately. It's summer, why not? My friend Katee got me onto this recipe. She made it for her family, and says "Of course I added lots of arugula and lots of squeezed lemons. And I added just a handful of cranraisins after for colour and bit of sweet. And when I dished it up I put a bit of feta but I don’t think I would the next time as I loved the fresh taste without it."

The cranraisins would have been a nice touch, I think, but I didn't have any on hand. So since I followed the recipe pretty much exactly (substituting only some sambal olek for the jalapeno and Joanne Stepaniak's Betta feta for the feta cheese), I'll just link you over there.

But man, this was good. I so get what Katee is saying about the fresh taste. The arugula makes this dish, with its slightly bitter, smoky flavour. Here's the drained, rinsed barley in the dressing:

Add a mixture of finely chopped arugula, parsley and garlic:

...and some Betta feta. Yum!

A weeknight supper salad ready in approximately 45 minutes (unless you have cooked barley around, in which case it's practically instant). I loved it.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you loved it too! I love tabbouleh in the summer when we have so many different greens, but I think this would be a wonderful winter dish with the barley and my new found favourite green, arugula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arugula and barley...what a great take on tabouleh...I bet it's delicious. Your photos have my salivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a massive surplus of arugula in our garden, so this is great timing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete