Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dragon bowl

A dragon bowl is simply an Asian-inspired meal in a bowl (with a very kewl name), but otherwise as far as I can tell, the rest is totally flexible. This recipe is for a soup-like dragon bowl with a Thai red curry and noodle base. If you're cooking the noodles right in the dish, you'll want to make just as much as you'll eat at one meal. Here's how simple it is:

Dragon bowl
serves 2

Sauce:
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 medium carrot, in small cubes
1 tsp red curry paste
4 cups vegetable stock (I used powdered)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
zest and juice of 1/2 lime

Additions:
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped cauliflower
Rice or wheat noodles (approx. 1/4 lb)
1 cup tofu (any kind) in small cubes
4 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
sambal olek

Heat the peanut oil in a medium saucepan, and add the ginger, garlic, and carrot (plus any other vegetable that you're adding that you think would benefit from a quick sauté), and sauté them together until the garlic is translucent. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir well. Depending on the saltiness of your stock, you may need to add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.

Now add the cauliflower and tomatoes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the cauliflower is nearly tender. Add the rice noodles and tofu, partially cover, and let simmer until the noodles are just done.

Add the green onions and cilantro, season with sambal olek if desired, and serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. I have been trying to cut back on my profanity- but that looks so fucking good!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived closer to you so I could sample this dish. It's wet and snowy, a perfect day for Dragon Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I love one-pot (or bowl) meals! This looks amazing, and the name is pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the dragon bowl! This looks ridiculously delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband came over while I was looking at this and said,"Oh my god you have to make that!!!" And I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! It really is good, and of course the best part is that it's different every time...but for me, I like the soupy ones best ;-)

    ReplyDelete