Friday, May 28, 2010

Basic bruschetta

Well, this is without doubt the simplest recipe you will ever see on this blog, and one of the very best.

Take some bread--any kind--the one to the left was "Greek-style" pita from Costco which tastes pretty crummy by itself; the one in the image below was the ciabatta bread (also from Costco) which was awesome.

No matter. Take whatever bread you have, and toast it lightly.

Meanwhile, cut a clove of garlic in two.

Take the bread out of the toaster, and rub with the garlic. Be generous. Little bits of garlic may rub off onto the bread. That's okay.

Now slather the bread generously with extra-virgin olive oil, and dust with a little coarsely-ground sea salt.

Oh, heavenly day! It doesn't matter what you serve this with. Above, the Chipotle, corn, and black bean stew from Vegan with a Vengeance. Below, baba ganoush, plus a chickpea salad with a tahini dressing from Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. Whatever. I'm saying, what food would I want to take with me to a desert island? This bread/garlic/EVOO thing, hands down, without a doubt, I'm bursting but I think I'll have a little more right now...

1 comment:

  1. Good bread, good olive oil, good garlic = GOOD! I agree.

    ReplyDelete