Thursday, April 22, 2010

Seitan with pineapple, carrots, and ginger

Another adaptation from Rose Reisman Brings Home Light Cooking. Her recipe calls for chicken breasts, which you bake in the sauce, but in my opinion a stirfry works better.

This is a nice, simple, easy meal with a sweet sauce that even your kids might like, and of course you could use any kind of protein. Featured here are the meatballs from my chicken-style okara burgers recipe.

Here's the recipe, without the gory bits:

Seitan with pineapple, carrots and ginger
Adapted from Rose Reisman Brings Home Light Cooking
Serves 2

Approximately 2 cups of seitan meatballs, tofu chunks, etc.
1 tbsp Earth Balance or canola oil
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger

1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup pineapple chunks

In a large non-stick skillet, heat half a tablespoon of canola oil or Earth Balance and fry your seitan until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

In the same pan, heat the rest of the oil and add the pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, and ginger. I also tossed in one of those superhot little peppers, whole, to see if it would heat the dish (it didn't), and stir fry until tender, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients together into a sauce, and pour into the skillet along with the pineapple chunks; cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened and translucent. Add the seitan back in and gently cook for a few minutes more until the seitan is heated through.

This was served with a mixture of parboiled brown rice, black hulled barley, and daikon radish seeds that I picked up at the Bulk Barn the other day. Interesting!

4 comments:

  1. I think I might try something like this for dinner, but with nearly every ingredient substituted, to make due with what I have on hand. (eg. orange juice and satsumas, chickpea-quinoa balls, etc.) I do have carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little seitan balls look perfect; what a delicious combination. I hadn't thought of mixing seeds in with rice, but it does sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, I'd like to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, I'm sure your dinner will work out...I often do this myself...

    Rose and Fourmi, thanks! The rice was a pre-mix; if I hadn't seen it in the store, I wouldn't have thought of it either.

    ReplyDelete