Monday, April 19, 2010

Seitan chicken stuffed with sundried tomato pesto in creamy sauce

Well, vegans, dig out your omni cookbooks, because you need be deprived no longer. This beautiful meal (or something similar) can be yours with little effort.

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more experiments with okara seitan, but tonight I couldn't resist. Inspired partly by Rose's gorgeous post about Seitan braciole, and partly by recipe books I have been reading through, and having a little okara on hand, I decided to try the rolling technique with my own chicken-style okara seitan. This is so worthwhile; this is so every recipe you've ever read that starts "Place chicken between two sheets of waxed paper; pound until flattened." No longer do you have to worry that your seitan will not pound flat. This seitan will.

This recipe is based on the Chicken breasts stuffed with red pepper puree in creamy sauce from Rose Reisman Brings Home Light Cooking. However, instead of the red pepper puree, I used some sundried tomato pesto that I made yesterday (recipe to follow in another post; yesterday I was just winging it to see if it would work out at all and not recording measurements, but in fact it was a success after all) mixed with some whole wheat breadcrumbs. I did make the creamy sauce (recipe at the end of this post), but you certainly don't have to. What I did was:

Make the chicken-style okara seitan (for boiling) linked to above. Take about 3/4 cup and form it into a ball, then roll it out into a rough rectangle under a sheet of waxed paper. Trim the edges if you need to to get a proper rectangle the width of your baking pan, and spread with the pesto-breadcrumb mix:

Roll the whole thing up like a jelly roll. I'm now not convinced you need any string, but I wasn't sure as I was cooking, so I bound it up and placed it in the pan, then poured on approximately 1 cup broth (check for salt; you don't want it too salty since the broth will all absorb into the seitan):

Bake at 375F for approximately 45 minutes (for a small roll like this one). I turned it twice. Next time I might try placing some parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, since the seitan stuck a bit. Meanwhile, I rolled out the rest of the seitan as above, but boiled it in a light broth in thin pieces:

Ooh, the roll is done!

One mistake I made with this meal is that one should never, ever, roast gai lan. It doesn't look great, and the texture was so tough as to make it nearly inedible. The rest of the meal was A+, though!

The creamy sauce was nice (though frankly I'm still not sure that it altogether compliments the seitan, though it was delicious with the cauliflower), and it only took a few minutes to put together.

Creamy sauce:
2 tsp Earth Balance
2 tsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 tbsp almonzano
1/4 tsp dried dill
pinch paprika

In a small saucepan, melt the Earth Balance; add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add soy milk and cook, stirring, until thickened, approximately 3 minutes. Stir in almonzano, dill, and paprika. Pour over seitan.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good — especially the sundried tomato pesto. I like the idea of rolling a savory something inside of seitan. For Thanksgiving I always stuff and bake "a seitan" but this is more elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! This is genius! I'm always interested in ways to cook and present seitan in different ways. We've been out of town for almost a week, but a I swear this is the homemade soymilk week--and this is the goal for some okara seitan.

    ReplyDelete