Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ordinary little things

How glad I am that spring has come at last! I'm one of those people who walk around perpetually lost in their own thoughts. If I pass you on the street, I won't see you. I won't notice your new haircut, or your cool shoes, or your wedding ring. If I drove a car, I would crash it. Sometimes I crash my bike, just out of absent-mindedness. I'd make a terrible witness. So I need some help connecting with the outside world sometimes, and my camera is just such a help. Blots of colour on brown-gray soil become whole environments; apparently smooth surfaces are none such. Ordinary little things, when viewed from a slightly different perspective, become miraculous. Here are some very ordinary things that I found in my garden this afternoon.

First, a green onion, scarcely out of the ice but already beginning to flower.

Tulips:


Creeping Jenny:
Some fleshy little groundcover whose name I don't know, very close up:

Not sure, but it's beautiful!

The reason it's so hard to take photographs of the insides of yellow crocuses: they just dissolve into heavenly radiance:



this is the garden:colours come and go,
frail azures fluttering from night's outer wing
strong silent greens silently lingering,
absolute lights like baths of golden snow.
This is the garden:pursed lips do blow
upon cool flutes within wide glooms,and sing
(of harps celestial to the quivering string)
invisible faces hauntingly and slow.

This is the garden. Time shall surely reap
and on Death's blade lie many a flower curled,
in other lands where other songs be sung;
yet stand They here enraptured,as among
the slow deep trees perpetual of sleep
some silver-fingered fountain steals the world.

e.e. cummings

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful nature!

    Happy spring to you...hope you don't crash on your bike too terribly much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stacy and Rose! These super-macro pictures are so much fun to do, especially since I can barely see what I'm photographing through the viewfinder when I'm taking them, so I tend to just try to focus on some bit of something and click and I'm as surprised as anyone when I see them for the first time on the computer.

    Re the bike, I am making extra efforts to be mindful this year--so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos! I may have to get myself a macro. I've always wanted one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete