Monday, April 19, 2010

Greek-style okara seitan gyros


A pretty quick meal, except that I made my own pita bread (from Deborah Madison's recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone). Most of the dough got refrigerated for later, so the next time it will be nearly instant.

Here you see one of the very thin Mark-style okara seitan chick'n cutlets (recipe here), marinated for half an hour in a light lemon viniagrette with oregano and dill, then grilled and cut into bite-sized pieces and mixed with fried onions.

Meanwhile I blended up some tofu yogurt, added dill, lemon, and salt and pepper for a little sauce, and this was fantastic, as always.

Finally, I tried some date syrup in a Middle-Eastern recipe from somewhere on the internet (1/2 cup date syrup, 1 tbsp tahini, and 1 tbsp lemon juice), which tasted very date-y and sweet and strange (in a sandwich).

I am so enjoying my okara seitan, especially rolled out thin thin like this and grilled until it's crispy. Regular seitan will not roll out thin thin, but you poor unfortunates who don't have any okara could probably mash some white beans to use in the recipe instead if you wanted to try it...


No comments:

Post a Comment