Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Chicken" burgers with chili fries and chopped salad

Once again, I have inadvertently managed to create a plate of food that is more or less a study in one single colour...sigh.

And yet...it didn't start out that way.

This is the Zoa's chicken-style okara burgers, thawed out and lightly pan-fried, along with the Chopped salad with creamy chipotle ranch dressing from the Candle Cafe Cookbook (which was wonderful, by the way), and chili fries.



I even made my own buns; I'm getting right into this keeping-bread-dough-in-the-refrigerator thing. Look, I made three hamburger buns, in seconds, tonight:

But why does this happen? Why? Every single time?

However, they were truly, taste-wise, delightful, and I have to admit that their weird shapes do have a certain goofy, demented charm. I'll leave you with a beauty shot of the chopped salad, before the dressing. It's so lovely, it doesn't even seem like food, does it? Maybe that's why I don't eat salad all that often (though I am trying to remedy this):

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tasty, comforting meal. Oddly-shaped or not, those burger buns look scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoa, I just sent this post to my friend as I was salivating over the picture and had to torture someone else :) He said the uneven rise is from fluctuating temps in the oven - mine at home does that too, so I adjust it up and down according to the thermometer I have in there...just a thought :) I think they have "goofy, demented charm" too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread dough has a will of its own and refuses to be restrained into ordinary shapes! What else could it be? That salad makes me think I may be having salad for supper. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tiffany and Andrea! Yes, this dough...you should see it in the fridge, trying, usually successfully, to escape the prison of its containers...

    Lou, I never thought of that, so thanks to your friend for the tip. The oven seems to work well enough for everything but these dang buns. But I'll look out for a thermometer to test it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm new to your blog, it seems very good food, I'll try many of yours. I am just wondering where is your buns receipe? I'm looking on your blog and don't find it. By the way, I love the shapes! But they look so good! Thanks. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Anne:

    You're right, the buns recipe isn't on my blog. It's basically this one (http://mideastfood.about.com/od/breadsrice/r/pitabreadrecipe.htm) but I used half whole wheat flour. Plus, if you're going to let it rise for 3 hours as the recipe calls for, or leave it in your refrigerator, you hardly have to knead it at all, just for a few minutes until it forms a sturdy ball.

    ReplyDelete