Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cauliflower paprikash

This was quite delicious. It's the Cauliflower paprikash from a cookbook I don't use as often as I should, Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home.

I found the recipe here, and so reproduce it for you. The changes I made were only to add some of my okara sausage, and to top it with avocado because doesn't everything taste better with a little avocado, as well as chopped green onions and shichimi togarashi, because I thought it would look pretty--and it did, but really you'd be better off with a little cayenne or smoked paprika.



Still, Superspark, the blogger whose post I took the recipe from, made more changes and her photo looks more appetizing than mine--I bet she added a little tomato paste, even though she doesn't say so, which would have complimented this dish well, or perhaps it was just her marsala wine. She also made the spatzle (see the link above for the recipe, which you will have to veganize), and I served mine with my okara gnocchi. But now I really want to try the spatzle, because doesn't it look great?

Cauliflower paprikash
from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
(serves 4)

1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 red or green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup water
10 oz mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
pinch of salt
1 large head of cauliflower
1 cup vegan sour cream
salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. In a large soup pan or saucepot, saute the onions and peppers in oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the paprika, sherry, and water and cook on high heat for a minute. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt to draw out the juices. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes while you cut the cauliflower into florets.

2. Mix in the florets and simmer until the cauliflower is tender but still firm, 7 minutes (or more). Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the paprikash and keep it warm until ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. I think your version looks wonderful too! And yes, I agree, avocado makes anything even better.

    ReplyDelete