Monday, March 29, 2010

Gobi ka paratha with tarka masoor dal


I came home from work tonight craving parathas--specifically cauliflower parathas--which is strange, since I've never had them before, though I have made aloo parathas (with a potato filling), but there has been far too much potato love around here in the last few weeks.

They were great! My recipe came from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, but it is very, very similar to what Manjula is doing on her website here.

Parathas are stuffed flatbreads. The basic steps are these:

1. Make the paratha dough and the filling (grated cauliflower, ginger, hot chili, cilantro, salt, and pepper):

2. Roll out a circle of paratha dough about 5 inches across, and place about a quarter cup of filling in the middle:

3. Pinch up the edges to make a little sealed packet:

4. Roll it out flat:

5. Cook it on a cast iron pan, flipping every 30 seconds and adding dribbles of oil and/or Earth Balance now and then until it's speckled a beautiful brown and heated through (check my speckles ;-):


But as delicious, and surprisingly quick and easy, as the parathas were, even more surprising is the rather drab-looking lentil dish I served them with. This was an extremely simple tarka dal, sort of like this one, but the only spices in my tarka were green onions, whole cumin seeds, and cayenne. Really, I just made it because I needed something to serve with the parathas, but it was excellent in its own right. Served along with a dab of Aki's Corriander [sic] Chutney, to which I have been addicted for several years.

1 comment:

  1. Gobi parathas sound like a nice change from aloo parathas (although I do love them). The tarka dal sounds tasty, too. :) Looks like a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete