Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Seitan in mole sauce

This is based on one of those dishes that look gross, no matter how well disguised by thick sprinklings of chopped tomato and avocado, but taste fantastic, the chile-chocolate mole sauce from Veganomicon. Every so often, when I fortuitously happen to have all the ingredients on hand, I make a batch and freeze it in small increments for adding to chilis and so on. I've generally resisted using it as part of a main dish, until tonight, when I had some seitan that was pretty much approaching its best before date, and some pita dough that needed making into pitas, and I was tired from circumnavigating the globe in search of some esoteric items to delight the soul of my poor mother still recovering from her shoulder surgery, and I had some of the mole in my all-providing deep freezer.

The recipe for the mole sauce is over at Yeah, That Vegan Shit. I'm sorry Lindy Loo isn't blogging as often as she used to, because I love reading her posts. Anyway, she's another big fan of this recipe and has some fun things to say about it that I agree with but won't echo here. Suffice it to say that the meal was great, if brown. I found the seitan recipe online here, so can reproduce it for you:

Seitan in mole sauce
from the Veganomicon
Serves 4

2 tbsp peanut oil
1 lb seitan cut into bite-sized pieces
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 cups chile chocolate mole sauce recipe

In a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the oil and saute the seitan for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove the seitan from the pot and set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in the pot. Add the onion and saute for 6-8 minutes until soft. Add the carrots and the vegetable stock and cover. Steam for 8 minutes, then stir in the seitan and mole sauce. Mix completely and allow everything to simmer over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, until the carrots are tender.

Served here with simply steamed broccoli rabe, along with homemade pita bread. Fast though complex in flavour, nutritious, and sustaining!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great...mole is something that I'd like to get to know better, thanks for the recipe and the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to try the Veganomicon mole recipe; I haven't had much success with mole in general (the flavor has never been quite right), so I'm still hesitant. It sounds good, though, and I'm glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Rose and Tiffany. This is the only mole sauce I've ever tried, so don't necessarily become un-hesitant because of me...when I first tried this I didn't like it *at all* but it's one of those coffee- or mushroom- things, it grew on me, and now I love it.

    ReplyDelete