Sunday, January 24, 2010

Teriyaki-glazed tofu with cracked wheat pilaf with tomato and cinnamon


The tofu is the teriyaki-glazed tempeh from Vegan Planet (only with tofu; here's the recipe on Google Books, page 345), and the pilaf is from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Served with baby bok choy stir fried with garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, a little cucumber-sour cream salad, and fried enoki mushrooms. A fancy meal with lots of dishes, but not as involved to make as it might look, and relaxing timing-wise except for the bok choy right at the end.

I keep buying enoki mushrooms and never really know what to do with them, since they tend to vanish in stir fries and soups, but this is a nice way to cook them, just take a piece, clean it, spread it out gently on a hot oiled skillet, sprinkle with sea salt, let cook until the bottom begins to brown, and flip.

The pilaf is delicious; I've made it many times, and leftovers can be turned into a nice substantial Middle-Eastern-type soup with the addition of some stock, potatoes, garbanzo beans, and a few extra vegetables, maybe with a little tahini drizzled over each serving.

2 comments:

  1. What a delicious array of food; sounds exquisite and really satisfying...I love cinnamon in savory dishes...I wish my hubby did too.

    Thanks for the tip on enoki mushrooms...I think they taste sort of like soybean sprouts when raw, pretty yummy, but they usually end up in soup at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great suggestion for enoki mushrooms. I never know what to do with them either.

    I've given you an Honest Scrap award for writing a really intriguing blog. I discovered it during vegan mofo and have been reading ever since. My latest post has the details.

    ReplyDelete