Saturday, January 23, 2010

Orange and thyme-scented white bean and 'sausage' chili


...from Vegan Planet. I actually cooked this a few days ago, but my photographs were spoiled owing to the fact that I was so hungry I couldn't wait for it to stop steaming. What decided me to try it was really only that I've been craving citrus and had the other ingredients on hand and not a whole lot of time, but am I ever glad I did. And it was even better after a day or two in the fridge. The recipe calls for orange juice, orange zest, and an optional 2 tablespoons of orange liqueur, so it is very orange-y. Which you might imagine wouldn't mesh well with spicy soy sausage and chili powder…but if you imagined that you would be wrong. It's a mesh made in Heaven.

And the recipe is over on Google Books (page 325). So go try it for yourself!


I first spooned the chili over jasmine rice as suggested, but then last night baked it in a casserole with some of the drop biscuits from Veganomicon, and they were awesome too, light and moist and perfect.

This was served with a little salad of grated carrot, orange slices, a bit of olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper, topped with minced radish. Mmmmm, orange….

No comments:

Post a Comment