Thursday, January 7, 2010

Caramelized tofu with pecans and Brussels sprouts


I'm back, and I'm starving! Heavy stews and pies aren't really my style, even though they're tasty and easy to digest. But they're just so…brown. Someday I'm going to write a cookbook with a focus on colour-coding meals, how you can just disregard the fusty old traditional food groups so long as you take care to have the full range of the spectrum on your plate at least once a day. This meal doesn't do that, but it has several fetching shades of green, which is good enough for today.

The recipe is courtesy of Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks, and since the only changes I made were to skip the cilantro and add a few drops of tamari to the tofu, I'll just direct you over there for the directions, since it is her original recipe.

I will say that the tofu part is like…well, garlic-scented pralines, in a good way. It's crunchy! It's savory! It's sweet! And added to the slightly bitter Brussels sprouts, it's perfect. Thank you, Heidi, once again, for a very easy, very lovely meal.

2 comments:

  1. Carmelized anything sounds delicious. It also looks very appetizing as well! You almost have me wanting brussel sprouts. They are kinda of cute -- like little mini cabbages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds divine. And yes, please do write a cookbook :)

    ReplyDelete