Monday, November 16, 2009

Poppyseed pappardelle

Oh, yum. The Rebar Modernfoodcookbook is wonderful. Please go out and buy it and then you can make this recipe, which isn't online except as it is mentioned in one griping amazon.ca review whose criticisms I just don't get. This is a really good recipe--onions, mushrooms, garlic, sweet red pepper, seitan, sautéed in a Merlot reduction, dill and parsley added, and served with wide noodles mixed with Earth Balance (okay, I veganized it) and poppyseeds, and dressed with a dollop of tofu sour cream from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet. I used a mix of white, brown, crimini, portabella, oyster, and enoki mushrooms. Heaven!

Tragically, I could not find the recipe online to share with you, but Susan V at FatFree Vegan Kitchen has a similar tofu sour cream recipe, which I can (my version is slightly adapted):

Tofu sour cream:

6 ounces fresh or silken tofu
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp cashew butter or tahini or canola oil
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp sugar (optional)

Blend all the ingredients for the tofu sour cream until completely smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.

It isn't sour cream, and doesn't taste exactly like sour cream, but over time I've come to really relish it for exactly what it is…

Frankly, I'm not quite sure what pappardelle are, but I gather they are some kind of wide egg noodle. I used a mixture of white and whole wheat lasagne noodles, crumbled up, cooked, and mixed while hot with more Earth Balance and some poppy seeds.

Served with a little of the leftover Thai 3 cabbage slaw from yesterday: did it go well with the pasta? Why yes, it certainly did! But then, cabbage never goes amiss in the fall or winter, according to me.

1 comment:

  1. Rebar is my favourite cookbook! I haven't tried that recipe yet but you've inspired me to move it up higher on my mental list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete