Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kasha varnishkes (with toasted walnuts and scallions)

These are from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Of all the cookbooks I own, this one is the most consistently excellent and reliable. Others may be trendier or more fun, but if you want good solid recipes with lots of variations, especially outstanding in California-style vegetarian cooking, this is where you should go. This is her kasha with all the trimmings, Eastern Europe's version of mujadarrah, roasted buckwheat simmered to soft sweet perfection with Earth Balance, salt, and pepper, then added to (whole wheat, of course) bow ties and caramelized chopped onions, with a paradisial garnish of chopped walnuts, scallions, Earth Balance/olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Sigh…(after eating a whole lot) I can eat no more…luckily I've made this before and leftovers are superfantastic for lunch as well.

Served with some ingredients carried over from my all-Japanese VeganMoFo 2009 challenge, but cooked Western-style, namely oyster, king oyster, and enoki mushrooms browned in Earth Balance and canola oil, with garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper, and chopped medium bok choy.

And finally, last but certainly not least, my favourite recipe from Vegan Brunch, the omelet…scrambled—oh, and I replaced some of the salt with the Japanese 7-spice mix shichimi togarashi, with wonderful success. I had started out with an omelet for my first helping, then had an odd amount left over, and encouraged by my success with Japanese-style "eggs" with bean curd, just scrambled it in big pieces. You know, the flavour is exactly the same, but something about the scrambled version really makes me all rosy and happy, so this is the picture I posted.

Such a good meal.

1 comment:

  1. I love the carry-over, Japanese-themed MoFo influence. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete