Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two simple sauces that will change your life

Oh my good god. This is by far my favourite Japanese meal to date. You must make it: even if you don't generally like Japanese food, you will like this.

The secret is two sauces, the recipes for both of which I can provide, since they were heavily adapted.

First: Miso-lemon sauce, adapted from the Miso and Lemon Sauce in The Enlightened Kitchen by Mari Fujii.

Miso-lemon sauce:

1 tbsp white miso
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
½ tsp salt

Put everything into a blender (or Magic Bullet, if you're fortunate enough to own one), and blend it up. Heaven in a blender!

Second: Wasabi sauce, adapted from justhungry.com:

Wasabi sauce:

¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp mirin
2 tsp wasabi powder, reconstituted to a paste with a little water

Mix everything together well (a fork will do it), and you're done!

Now then, with these two quick and easy sauces, you can make anything you can imagine utterly delicious.

In this meal, I used the miso-lemon sauce on a mixture of boiled sweet potato cubes, turned hot into a bowl and mixed with some frozen edamame beans and chopped avocado, with a little lemon juice added, then finally topped with a little shredded nori.

The wasabi sauce went on a little stir fry of very lightly boiled broccoli (cooled thereafter under cold water) and reconstituted Soy Curls fried up in a little canola oil and soy sauce. Have I mentioned that I love Soy Curls? Here they are in all their fried-up cuteness; who could resist?


I eyeballed all the ingredients except for the sauces, and I have a little of each sauce left over. So much the better! Served with a very basic miso soup and brown rice. So so so yum! Unfortunately there isn't anything but sauce left or I would still be eating!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the sweet potato - edamame dish. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete