Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Okonomiyaki II

I had to try it again. My brain was nagging at me that I hadn't got it quite right (at least not for me) the first time, and, lo, I found another, vegetarian, recipe in my battered old copy of Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant. Well, view the image. It was as good as that and maybe I don't even need to say more. I could happily eat this every day for the rest of October. What's the difference? Maybe fewer vegetables so the pancake got a little crispier; maybe absence of dashi made it more familiar; maybe the addition of a protein element added substance; I'm not sure, only I liked this version much better!

Serendipitously, the recipe is online; I got it here and reproduce it for you (slightly changed from the original, and in addition veganized by me):

Okonomiyaki
adapted from Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant
(serves 2, or 1 as a main course)

Sauce (I didn't make this sauce, but invented one of my own with some other sauce I had already mixed up in the fridge, tomato paste, and a few other things):

1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp sake
1 tsp soy sauce

Okonomiyaki:
Replacer for 1 egg (I used Ener-G)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sake
pinch salt
1 cup shredded Chinese cabbage
3 tbsp shredded carrot
2 whole scallions, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1-inch strips
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup shredded cooked seitan, vegan burger crumbles, or what have you

1/2 sheet nori
Veganaise

Toast the nori by waving it over a flame until it stiffens slightly, but be careful--it burns easily. Crumble into little pieces and set aside.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Mix flour and water and egg replacer in a large bowl; beat until you have a batter the consistency of pancake batter. Add the sake and salt. Fold in the cabbage, carrots, and scallions.


Add Image Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Spoon the batter onto the hot skillet and spread around into an even pancake. Sprinkle the seitan or other protein element on top. Cook each side on medium heat for 2 minutes, until lightly browned.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes, occasionally turning and gently pressing the okonomiyaki with a spatula.

Serve hot with the sauce to taste and top with about a tbsp of mayonnaise and a sprinkling of toasted nori.

No comments:

Post a Comment