Tuesday, October 27, 2009

New potatoes with sweet-spicy miso

You know how sometimes you find a recipe that looks good and think that you could improve on it? Sometimes this works out great, but some recipes you just shouldn't mess with. This is one.

New potatoes with sweet-spicy miso
from JustHungry

About 500g / 1 lb tiny organic new potatoes, washed and unpeeled
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp miso, preferably red miso, but any miso will do
1 tbsp kochujang (spicy Korean bean paste; I used Chinese brown bean paste)
3 tbsp raw cane sugar or light brown sugar
1 large garlic clove, grated
1 piece (about twice the size of the garlic clove) fresh ginger, grated
Chopped green onions for garnish

Boil the potatoes in their skins until they are tender.

Heat up a large frying pan and add the sesame oil. When hot, add the potatoes, and pan-fry them until they turn brown and crispy.

In the meantime, combine the miso, kochujang, sugar, grated garlic and ginger in a bowl with enough water to make it into a smooth, loose paste, about the consistency of ketchup.

I had the idea of putting in cauliflower, so I parboiled some in the hot potato water, added it to the pan, and thought I was genius. See how nice the two vegetables looked together just before the sauce was poured in:


Next, add the paste to the hot pan and toss the potatoes around rapidly to coat them well. The water will evaporate and the sauce will turn very sticky. Take off the heat before the miso burns.

The mess was just epic. Something in the sauce (salt, I'm guessing) immediately leeched all of the water out of the cauliflower and into the pan, so I had to cook everything for much longer than I should have until it all boiled off, and it spit sticky, sugary sauce all over the stove, the floor, and me the whole time. It tasted pretty good, though. I'd make this again, but next time would just follow Maki's recipe.

Served here with a lightly stir fried mixture of grated sweet potato and carrot and pan fried golden tofu, topped with grated cucumber and chopped green onions and a little sauce of soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and crushed sesame seeds. In the spirit of the way my kitchen looked just then, I just jumbled everything up together…

2 comments:

  1. Now that I can finally get in to make a comment, I would like to compliment you on your great photography. I am currently painting the marigold photograph (from way back) and receiving lots of complements. The recipes look good, too, and I have sampled a few (delicious). I am currently awaiting the recipe for brussel sprouts that you cooked for us at Thanksgiving.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum:) I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete