Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Japanese-style scrambled eggs with bean curd

Though…we're vegan here, so it's more Japanese-style scrambled bean curd with bean curd. Seriously, though, this was delicious, and for the eggs I subbed half a recipe of the omelet from Vegan Brunch (see below; I found the recipe here so I reproduce it for you, but I own the book and recommend that you buy it too, it has so many good things in it), leaving out the optional garlic and the cornstarch. I have to say once again, what a versatile recipe this is! Isa, I bow down! I was after comfort food pure and simple after a hard, sad day at work, and you delivered, again. So, thanks.

The rest of the recipe is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Japanese/Korean-Style Scrambled Eggs with Bean Curd from World Vegetarian. According to Mrs. Jaffrey, "Such egg dishes exist all over East Asia and are nearly always eaten with plain rice." I'd had enough of plain, white rice lately, so I served it with brown rice. Here's what I did:

Scrambled "eggs" with bean curd
Serves 1 hungry person

1/2 omelet recipe from Vegan Brunch (see below: leave out the garlic and the cornstarch)
1 tsp canola oil
2 scallions, finely sliced
2 tbsp carrot, finely diced
2 tbsp sweet red pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup firm tofu, crumbled
1/4 cup enoki mushrooms (optional)
Sauce of your choice (I used an equal amount of tamari/sambal olek)

Vegan Brunch omelet (but remember, you're just making half of it for this recipe):

2 garlic cloves
1 pound soft tofu, lightly drained
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fine black salt or sea salt
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch

Grind it all up in a food processor or blender. I find it necessary to add up to half a cup of water or unsweetened soy milk to make it all blend, but that never seems to hurt anything.

Mix up the omelet recipe and set aside for now.


Heat the canola oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and, when hot, add one scallion, the carrot, and the red pepper, and stir fry for approximately two minutes—you want to tenderize the vegetables, but not have them caramelized. Add the crumbled tofu and enoki mushrooms (if using) and stir fry an additional minute until heated. I also added a little watercress at this point.

Now pour in the omelet mixture and continue to stir and fry (stirring only infrequently however, since you want large "curds" of omelet to form) for about seven minutes, until the omelet has firmed up and everything is looking delectable.

Serve with rice, topped with roasted sesame seeds and the other finely sliced green onion, and the sauce.


This will go a little way towards curing what ails you, I promise…

4 comments:

  1. i'm loving all these japanese recipes. keep 'em coming!
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ate dinner and thought I was full but seeing this makes me hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm yummy. That looks so good and so prettily presented too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks incredibly delicious. I'm going to try this tonight.

    ReplyDelete