Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday brunch: Bruschetta with falafel burger balls (redux)


I couldn't wait, I was too curious, so I revived some of the Rebar falafel burger balls from yesterday, rolled them in olive oil, and baked them. Nothing burned or fell apart this time during cooking, but when I put a fork into one of the balls, it instantly crumbled to falafel burger dust. It was tasty dust, but dust all the same. Maybe I ground the chickpeas up too fine, but I don't think I'll be making this again.

Bruschetta, on the other hand, is always good, especially when made with sweet, perfectly ripe, fresh-off-the-vine garden tomatoes as this one was. My mix has tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt (I would have scoffed at this a few months ago, but there really is a difference), and pepper on toasted French bread. Oh, yum. My sister makes this for a big group of us sometimes, and what she does is toast a bunch of bread and lay the toast pieces on a large tray with all their edges touching, and then she literally pours the tomato mixture over them, juice and all, and her bruschetta is the best I've ever had, anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment