Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sauerkraut buns

As promised. I had some sauerkraut-mushroom filling left over from yesterday's pierogi, and added to it the rest of the sauerkraut still in my jar. If I hadn't had this, I would try something like:

Filling:

1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cups sauerkraut, liquid squeezed out
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
pepper to taste

Fry the onion with the mushrooms, if using, in the canola oil until the onion is translucent. Add the sauerkraut and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature before using.

Meanwhile, I had the bread going in the breadmaker. The recipe I used was:

Basic soft white bread:

1 ¼ cup soy milk
3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tbsp Earth Balance
2 tsp dry yeast

Put it all together in accordance with your breadmaker's directions. For mine, it was all the liquid ingredients, the sugar, salt, and Earth Balance, then the flour on top and the yeast on top of that.

When it was done, I cut it into pieces. If you can be more scientific about it, so much the better. I got 16 pieces:
Roll out a piece and place about a tbsp of the filling in the middle:

Gather up the edges and pinch them together:

Roll the sealed bun around in your hands a bit to make it nice and round and place it in a baking pan buttered with Earth Balance:

When all the buns are done, let them rise until they're about doubled in bulk:

Then brush them with melted Earth Balance and preheat your oven to 350F.
They need about half an hour to cook.

These were fantastic, as my mom and sister can attest, much faster and easier than pierogi, and rather splendid to look upon. I am so going to make this again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment