Here is the finished thing. Do not be put off by the dull puce colour of the avocado creme. I admit that it would never have occurred to me in a million years to pair fried potatoes with avocado, but the result! This is the sort of combination that makes my eyes roll back in bliss. How it would do as a canape, sitting on a plate for maybe an hour before serving, I can't say, since all these were gobbled up by me in seconds, as soon as they came out of the pan. I only wish I had doubled the batch.
Here's the recipe, slightly modified by me to (1) veganize (2) include the onion, (3) half the lemon zest and salt, and (4) sub canola for olive oil for frying:
Lemon potato latkes with gingered avocado
Adapted from Celia Brooks Brown's New Vegetarian
(Serves 4, so the recipe claims, but I ate it all myself with no problem whatsoever)
2 large potatoes (about 750g / 10 1/2 oz)
1 small onion, minced
1/2 lemon, zest only, grated
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tbsp plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
Canola oil, for frying
For the gingered avocado crème:
1 large ripe avocado, halved and pitted
1 lime, juice only
1-2 tsp finely grated ginger
½ tsp crushed garlic
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped, or 1 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp tofu
1. To make the latkes, peel the potatoes, then grate them on the coarse side of a box grater or in a food processor.
2. Transfer to a sieve, with the onions, and let drain. Squeeze handfuls of the potato/onion mixture to release some of the moisture.
3. Add the lemon zest and juice, flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
4. Heat about 4 tbsp canola oil in a large frying pan. Add rounded tablespoons of the mixture and flatten slightly; don't overcrowd the pan.
5. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on crumpled kitchen paper. Keep the latkes warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
6. To make the avocado crème, scoop the avocado flesh into a small food processor or Magic Bullet; add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, then serve with the latkes.
Note: Latkes make excellent canapés. Fry teaspoons of the mixture as described above, then serve topped with the avocado crème and coriander leaves.