Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crepes!





These are the crepes from Vegan Brunch, the only variation being that I substituted durum atta (chapatti) flour for the all-purpose flour, mostly because, reading the recipe, I imagined they would be more like chapatti, but they really were astonishingly crepe-y, soft and yet with an eerily egglike surface and cohesion. I cooked them in a non-stick skillet, which I really only use for delicate 100% chickpea flour crepes and the like, but they would have been fine in cast iron. Don't be afraid; these are quick and easy to make and work with. I was cooking for one, so I used my Magic Bullet and didn't even have a blender to clean out afterwards. Half a recipe made three large crepes. Here's the cooking process:

The crepe just poured:
















The edges curl up...



Then you turn it over and cook the other side...




The stuffing is leftover Red Braised Seitan from Bryanna Clark Grogan's Authentic Chinese Cuisine. The picture unfortunately doesn't express how tender, spicy and sweet it is, and how incredibly easy to make. I'll blog the process one of these days, but this braising method is now my favorite way with seitan.

The crepes are topped with just a little sweet chili sauce because the filling is already very flavorful, with pan-fried sweet potatoes on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment